Thursday, October 18, 2007

8 (Random) Facts and/or Habits About Moi

Yeah, I've been tagged (thanks to Vilia).. huhuw.. ;P
It is my 1st day back in the office and we (the team) are still in holiday mood, at least until tomorrow I suppose. I, ahem.., I mean we are not doing anything serious (read: work) other than engaging ourselves in front of the computer, sending gifts, iDescribe-ing, or poking friends on facebook.. hahahah.. such is the perfect working environment.. (yeah right, Marge.. you wish!) ;)

And as some of you have probably noticed, I haven't posted anything for a while now (more than a month). Ever since I started work, I was so tied down with my tasks and activities that I didn't really have enough energy (or will, for that matter..) to write. Not that I don't have the time, really, but most of the times I'm just too lazy to think. Writing, for me, requires a lot of thinking too -- even though it's just my daily routines or activities I'm writing about.. One could say I went brain-numb (can't really say it as writer's block as I'm not a writer -- yet).. =P

So this little game is probably a good start. Hopefully after this I'll be able to post (more) frequently on my blog.. It's been so dead lately.. hahah.. ^^'

First thing first, here are the rules of the 'game':
(1) Each Blogger starts with eight random facts/habits about themselves.
(2) Bloggers that are tagged need to write on their own blog about their eight things and post these rules.
(3) At the end of your blog, you need to choose 8 people to get tag and list their names.
(4) Don't forget to leave them a comment telling them they've been tagged to read ur blog.

So here goes... *drum rolls*


8 (Random) Facts and/or Habits About Moi...


1. I am an introvert.

Yes, some people may have difficulties believing this, esp. if they only know me skin-deep.

I love to party (too much) -- I drink (a lot), I dance (like there's no tomorrow), and sometimes I go wild. I have many friends from various social circles. I love meeting new people and making new friends. I am loud, talkative, and outgoing. I mingle a lot and (sometimes) I like to flirt around. I'm a social butterfly, I'm highly adaptable and flexible.

But deep down, I'm shy and reserved. I'm stiff and serious. I'm deep and I think a lot -- I've quite a restless mind (and that's why sometimes I get insomnia).  I'm easy to be friends with but if you want to get closer, whoa, that could be a bit tough. Thus, I don't really have a lot of close friends. I could be a loner sometimes -- I like (and used) to do things alone, i.e. eating in restaurants, strolling in the malls, browsing shops, or just sitting alone in a corner inside a coffee shop reading books or writing..

I'm complex. I'm a contradiction. I never really realized this until one day, a good friend of mine (who could read a person like a book -- scary..) pointed this out to me, "You're  a party girl but you're deep. That's strange. That's a contradiction."

Maybe I am.

2. I am a deep thinker.
Like I mentioned earlier, I have a restless mind. I think too much, sometimes even without my realizing it. Work, life, love, money, weight, anything.. I think and I stress and I think and I stress. Sometimes it makes me wonder what the heck was I thinking about. My friend always tells me that I think too much about things that aren't there, that I stress over unnecessary things, that I worry over nothing, and that I kept cooking up imaginary problems inside my head.

I could say my zodiac sign contributes in this part (I'm a Virgo and Virgos think a lot -- too much). And being a Virgo, I also strive for perfection. Not necessarily on others but mostly on myself. It drives me crazy every time I fail to do things 'perfectly' as I expected. I put high standards on myself and I'm my biggest (and worst) critique and enemy. I can fret and worry over small details, which more often than not, made me forget to look at the big picture in the end. I love being organized and well planned, even though at times those plans didn't work out well -- or didn't work out at all.

And that's why I get stressed, which eventually made me think too much (again), and lose sleep (again).. It's like a never-ending cycle..

3. I am a binge drinker.
Binge drinking refers to the heavy consumption of alcohol over a short period of time (just as binge eating means a specific period of uncontrolled overeating). Binge drinking is having five or more drinks during a single session (four drinks for females).

No, I'm not an alcoholic -- I'm not alcohol dependent. I'm just a social drinker, I drink when I go out and have fun with my friends. In my house, one could find a bottle or two of liquors or wine (not all mine really, most are my parents') which I never touch unless I want to go out and have fun. I drink for the sake of enjoyment, and for that I need the right atmosphere and company. I usually like to keep myself sober. But sometimes, when faced with 'unlimited supply' (read: free flow) and a crazy company, I could lose control.. and I binge.

This is a seriously bad habit and not something to be proud of. I only realized that I have a (drinking) problem a while ago -- after series of unfortunate events related to alcohol (read: vomiting and blacking out). I've been trying to cut back ever since and control myself whenever I go to party. And so far, it's been going on quite well.

4. I am a caffeine junkie.
I can't live without coffee.

I've been drinking coffee since I was a little kid. I inherited the liking and habit from my mom and dad, they're both caffeine junkies too (my sister is the only family member whose not a junkie). I think I fell in love with the intoxicating smell and the pleasurable bitter taste on my first encounter with this black liquid. And when was that? God knows 'cos I couldn't remember!

I used to beg for it whenever I smell my mom brewing a pot of coffee. As a kid, I wasn't really allowed to drink coffee yet, so my mom used to mix a small part of coffee with a large part of plain milk to make milk coffee for me. That café au lait was my guilty pleasure.. Heheh..

And I could say that I rarely have any problem sleeping by drinking coffee. There was a period of time when I could gulp down more than 5 servings of seriously strong coffee a day without any feeling of side effects.

The only side effect is probably my addiction to the substance. I couldn't really function well without it. If I skipped my morning coffee, I'd feel very lethargic by noon. I once went on a detox program for five days and avoided any form of caffeine (coffee, tea, soda, etc.). It was fine at first. But after 2 days, I got a major migraine. It was a torture, I couldn't concentrate at all because of the pain! But I didn't sweat or experience any tremor -- my addiction level was not that high.

Nowadays I've reduced my caffeine intake to a mere 1-2 servings a day as I've learned that a small amount of caffeine daily could make us more alert and receptive. It could also decrease the risk of getting Alzheimer.

5. I love yoga.
This is probably the one and only form of exercise that I love.

I'm not a sporty person. I lack the skill of physical abilities. I was never fast enough, precise enough, or flexible enough. I really love watching football and, sometimes, basketball, but that's just as far as it goes. I'm just the cheerleader screaming from the bench, or more often, from the couch. Though I did join the girls' football team once -- as a goalie -- in high school, but I never got to play the real match because my mom won't drive me to the venue (darn..!) by making a lame excuse -- that girls shouldn't play football 'cos it's so boyish and bla bla bla.. Blah!

But yoga is different. I've been curious to try it out ever since I read about the various benefits it could deliver, not just physically but also spiritually. Spirituality enchants me in a way, esp. eastern spirituality (such as from Tibet or India). I guess it's partly because I simply love the rich exotic culture that comes with that spiritual package -- I [heart] exotic cultures. I don't really practice any form of religious or spiritual activities (I'm a Taoist/Confucians but I don't go to the temple or pray regularly), but I have a dream of one day being able to travel to Nepal and Tibet in 'search' of spirituality enlightenment..

Anyway, I first tasted the joy of stretching my muscles in unimaginable and inexplicable ways (read: yoga) around 2 years ago, and it was love at first trial. I enjoyed it because every movement was slow but strong with high impact. Unlike aerobics or other dance classes, which were rather difficult for me to follow (I once tried an aerobic class with my sister, only to be ridiculed and 'scolded' by the instructor because we couldn't keep up with the steps and couldn't stop laughing all the time). After that I kept coming back for more, once or twice a week, for around a year. I bought my own yoga mat and sometimes I practiced at home. I was more or less the 'best' n my class, so my instructor always pushed me harder than the others in every session.

After a few months I could bent and kissed my knees, did the perfect pyramid and cobra pose, and even did a headstand for a few seconds. It was great, I felt more energized and I could feel my muscles loosen up, stretched, and became more and more flexible by day. My posture was definitely fixed, and I felt my belly and waist-line decreased.

But then I started working and living in my kos. So I couldn't come to my gym anymore because it was too far. I didn't really have time to exercise anymore and gyms around my work place cost like hell. So I stopped doing yoga, and has been wanting to re-practice ever since. My muscles are all stiff now and I get tired easily. Time to make use of my yoga mat again. Hopefully soon I'll find a way to join a good gym which offers a wide range of yoga classes.

6. I am a bread-o-holic.
...but just the crust please.

Weird, but true. When I eat bread, esp. toasts, I usually just love to eat the skin/crust and leave the soft part out. Unless when I'm eating tough hard bread like bagels or baguettes. What a waste of food, huh? I know.

It's a weird bad habit of mine that's quite 'popular' amongst my family and close friends. So my mom would never buy a skinless toast. She'll buy the normal one and trim the crusts manually for me. I'd enjoy the crust whilst the rest of the family members, who were not fond of crusts, would enjoy the skinless naked toast.

Same goes with a few friends of mine whose already accustomed with this weirdo habit of mine. As most of them don't like the crust too, we would do a 'barter'. It's symbiosis mutualism, we simply complement each other. But for some people (maybe most people), this  could be annoying and gross. Surely, a plate of messy naked bread leftovers is not a beautiful sight at all.

Oh, and I generally only eat whole wheat, I don't really like white refined bread -- the grainier, the better. Except for baguettes or bagels, I'd go for it even if they're white, but it has to be tough and hard -- the tougher/harder, the better.

7. I am mad about green.
Green is my favorite color. Always has been, always will be.

I collect all things green. From stationeries, towel, toiletries, accessories, bedspread,  key-chain, mug, utensils.. anything. My mini iPod is green and if only Mac produced a green iBook, I'd be the first in line to get it. Too bad they didn't, so I stuck with white instead. But I don't wear green that often, my wardrobe is not dominated by green at all -- I'm flexible when it comes to that area, it's a mix of all colors.

Though I love green, I'm not a nature person. Yes I do love beautiful sceneries and such (so much), but throw me in for a camping trip surrounded by the greens and wilderness, I'll freak out. Why? Simple: I hate bugs, insects, spiders, and all those creatures which inhabits the wild nature. Ewww....!

8. I love bookshops.. and supermarkets.
I go to bookshops or supermarkets whenever I want to kill time and indulge myself. These places are sort of a getaway for me, a small hiding place.

I love to read. It's a good thing my mom always chucked books at me and my sister ever since we were kids. From comic books by Peyo to illustrated story books like Noddy or Caroline and Friends. From small young adults novels like Jennings and The Baby Sitters' Club to big bulky world fairy tales books by Andersen or Perrault. I love being surrounded by books, that's why I love spending my time in bookshops, just browsing every row, checking out any books with nice covers, or taking a glimpse flipping through fabulous design books.. Whenever I walked into a big bookstore like Borders or Kinokuniya, I'm always ecstatic. I felt like I'm entering a different world filled with imaginations. There are no boundaries. And there's always something new to discover.

And as for supermarkets? Well, that's one of my guilty pleasure. I love browsing every aisle looking at things, esp. the food/snack aisle of course, as I'm an avid foodie and snacker. I especially love Japanese supermarkets like Kamome or Cosmo, because there are just so many cute and interesting things inside! I go ga ga over their snacks. Not only because they taste so yummy, but also because the packagings are a visual feast. It's amazing how they pay attention to details to attract customers. When they make things, they make sure to deliver it wholly, perfect inside-out -- no wonder sometimes they cost quite a fortune. Sometimes I buy things just because I want to collect the packaging -- I have a few drawers full of empty snack packagings at home, I'm not sure what to do with them but I don't have the heart to throw them away too.

No comments:

Post a Comment