Monday, June 26, 2006

Supermums

Tuesday afternoon and the weather was as hot as usual (but thank gawd for aircons!). I was having a late lunch with a friend and her cousin at a famous Chinese restaurant at Arcadia Senayan. It has been quite sometime since I last saw her (in person), so it was really nice to actually see her again. At least we both had something to do on our agenda that day, since we’re both officially unemployed now. LOL

Between munching on the painstakingly overpriced dumplings – we’re unemployed, remember? – and sipping tea, we talked about life in general. Catching up on each other’s news and mixed it up with a little gossip plus (unimportant) news, i.e. what’s on sale. LOL.

And somewhere along the way, we started talking about mothers.

She was telling me that the other time her mum said to her to call home whenever she wants to ask for something (my friend’s going away to Australia to continue her study), and not to just send sms or email, or tell her mum to go online to chat. “Call and say it in person. Because no matter what, you know mommy will do anything for you and will always try to provide you with what you asked for. Unlike you, who always have reasons against what I asked you to do.”

She almost cried when she heard that. She finally realized that soon she’s gonna be away from home, and away from her loving mum.

Mothers. We often take them for granted. Like me, I know I often make my mum feel sad or disappointed or angry. I often hurt her feelings.

In short, I can be such a pain in the arse.

But no matter what, I know my mum will always love me. Yet somehow, I just kept on repeating the bad habits of hurting her, whether they’re intentional or not. I tried to please her and make her happy of course, whenever I could and doing the best I could, but I’m only human.. and certainly I’m not perfect. And you can’t please everybody. So that’s why we fight and we have our disagreements.

Last week we were having dinner at home, sharing a plate of asinan bogor together. Then she told me to eat the sagu rangi (a type of sweet dessert-porridge) she bought yesterday. I hesitated because I was on diet. But then she said something that stunned me. “I bought it because I knew you like it.” 

It was a simple line, but it felt like a slap in the face.

It showed that whenever and wherever she is, she always thinks of her children (me and my sister). The same thing can’t really be said to us, the children. Mothers will go all out to please her children. But would we? That simple action and those simple words made me felt a huge wave of gratitude.

And so I ate. I f**ked my diet, but I felt great.

Mothers are truly a blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment