Friday, August 28, 2009

When Life Begins at Seventeen

They say that all good things come to an end. Or that the end of something is the beginning of something new. And that everything happens for a reason.

But still, when it happens -in a totally unexpected way- it sucks. And it hurts.

Back in September 2007, when I first set my foot in this place, a total stranger to the fashion/media industry, I was half-expecting to be entering a world filled with snobs, bitches, cat fights, and all those other negative things that'd pop in one's mind when one hears the word 'fashion magazine' (remember the movie The Devil Wears Prada?). As a coward who's not really into confrontations, I was naturally (very) nervous albeit feeling very excited and a bit giddy too.

But what I found was a place filled with some of the sweetest people ever: a wonderful boss and fabulous colleagues. After a few trials and errors in the working world, I finally found my place. I felt at home, at ease, and comfortable -perhaps a tad too much.

Then one sunny day, sometime around last week, our BOD called us all in to tell us that they will no longer keep our magazine alive. We all froze. Though we've heard of the rumors and picked up some hints beforehand, it was still a hard blow. That day became a day filled with tears -not out of fear of losing our jobs, but more out of fear of leaving this family and nest of ours.

I still think that not everyone is as lucky as I am, to be able to found a family like this in the (sometimes) cruel working world. I am blessed indeed, and will forever be grateful for that.

Life does begin at Seventeen for me, in a way.

During rehearsal for Seventeen Exclusimode 2009

This place has given me the most exciting two years. Two years filled with too much laughter and some tears (of joy, sadness, or stress). Two years of learning, failing, and succeeding. Two years of overcoming some ups and downs. Two years of working with the best colleagues who later become some of the most wonderful friends.

Two years made into a colorful chapter in my life. 

Yes, perhaps the time has come for me and my colleagues to leave our nest. Sad really, that it has to end in a rather abrupt and tragic way. But maybe it is time to fly, to challenge ourselves more, and to shine brighter.

Thank you all, for making my time here so sweetly memorable. We shall meet again of course, though in a slightly different way (and place). But there will always be the lunch breaks, coffee breaks, ciggy breaks, and after office hours to catch up with each other.

For this is not farewell, but merely a goodbye.

 Our last issue, on a cupcake

I will also miss this corner of mine dearly.. 
where I've had my (many) coffees in front of my lousy PC

No comments:

Post a Comment