Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Discovering (My) Vocation - Part II

One day, I saw the making of Michael Crichton’s Sphere (starring Sharon Stone and Samuel L. Jackson, if I’m not mistaken). It was a bad movie by the way, but I was drawn into the visual effects (CG) animation process. And decided that I’d like to do that. So I dropped my grade-A entry that I got at Binus and decided to go for design school at Untar instead, following my sister’s footsteps, and against my parents’ approval. Not knowing that it (CG) actually has everything to do with computers (and programming) – the result of lack of information, silly me.

By then, my sister was already a freshman in design school, with all the endless late nights-consuming art projects – things that my mother doubted I could do. Originally, (my sister) wanted to take fashion design – she was a true fashionista ever since she was a kid. But she decided otherwise because (fashion design) school was just so goddamn expensive. While I had been the star-student in the family – the good girl cum geeky nerd, she had always been the artist in the family – rebellious but gifted with such true talent.

Sure, I was into art also, we got it from my mother’s family – my uncle was an interior designer, my mother and my grandma could paint. I loved to doodle, draw, and make all sorts of those handcrafted items. But I was never as good as her of course. So my interest (in art) was always overlooked by everyone, except for my friends.

But I ignored it all and went along with my choice. And throughout those 4,5 years I spent in university, I could say I’ve done pretty well – either with the textbooks or with the art tools. Along the way, I no longer had the interest for CG (there was no subject on it in the school anyway), instead I developed a (big) interest for advertising. I excelled in the classes, gained some respect from fellow students and (a few) teachers.

Everyone thought I would join my sister as the new rising star (of advertising) – by then she had already begun to build her way to the (advertising) industry, and she succeeded of course. She gracefully walked the path she set upon her, and now she’s working for the #1 worldwide (advertising) agency in Indonesia.

The path was easy for her, because she’s a determined person who knew what she wanted and felt certain on her choices. She had always known what she wanted to do ever since she was a kid. Art, that is. And I envy her because of that. Not because she’s more talented or (way) more successful than me. Not because she has a bright career and a well-known name in her (working) world. But simply, because she knew what she wanted to do. She knew what her passion was.

And what become of me after university then? Well, let’s see. I wanted to lay back and indulge in doing-nothing-at-all, a.k.a. slacking off, while deciding what to do next, for a while.

A while lasted for many months.


(To be continued...)

No comments:

Post a Comment