Sunday, July 8, 2007

An Auspicious Start

I think all of us, if we have an option now, would choose not to grow up.

I, of course, don’t want to. As a child, I always wanted to grow up. But now, more than ever, I hate being an adult. I loathe the package called ‘responsibilities’ that comes with it. Selfish? I know. Shallow? Maybe. Childish? Most definitely.

I sometimes wish that Peter Pan would come to my window and just scoop me away to Neverland. Where I would remain a child. Where I could run free with my imagination. Not being stuck with the troubles of the (adult) world.

But then again, we all have to face reality. *Sigh..* And just try to find or make our own Neverland in this crazy world.

It has been more than a month – exactly 37 days – since I quit my (last) job. And I've a feeling that this condition would last longer than I would've wanted it to be. But the start of July 2007 marked a new beginning for me, I hope.

As a (consumptive) person who's living from paycheck to paycheck every month, this month has been really hard for me. No paycheck but got to pay the credit cards bills – yes, I’m one of those stupid people who got into trouble with credit cards. I was a bit stressed. But amazingly, just as I thought my world was tumbling down, things started to turn out right.

After going through a series of tests, I finally made it. A written test, a photo test, and a psych test later, I found myself sitting for the interview – finally. A few days later, I was back inside the building that would soon be my new office. I landed the job. And not just any job, but a job related with journalism, creativity, and fashion. Dream comes true? I could say so.

But due to some technical administration fuss, my new office was not able to hire me ASAP. I would have to wait, yet again, for the paperwork plus negotiation with the HRD. But in the meantime, I was offered to do freelance jobs, based on projects. I was ecstatic. It’s a very fun and exciting project. The next few days would see me hopping from mal to mal, from shop to shop, sorting and trying on clothes, in order to do the project.

Just a few days before, my friend just gave me the green light to do a project for his company. I’m to design his company’s logo, stationeries, and all. Frankly, I was flattered yet overwhelmed at the same time, when he said he’d give the project to me. It has been a while since I last designed anything or really touched the design softwares. I’m a bit worried, actually, but I take it as a good opportunity to practice again.

With these two ‘big’ projects in hand, at least I’ll have things to do to occupy my mind. And at least there’ll be cash flowing in for me – thank gawd for that. I’m almost on the brink of (financial) depression. Ah no, wait.. I already am. Hahah..

Funny thing is, this wasn’t the first time it happened. A few times in the past, when I was in financial difficulties like now, something always came up to sustain me throughout the rest of the days.

Sometimes I think I am a lucky girl. Or maybe the universe just favors me after all, so they conspired to lend me a helping hand. Whatever it is, I do think I am blessed. And I couldn’t help but remember what Coelho wrote in his book, The Alchemist, about finding your personal legend and pursuing your dreams:

"When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it."

Now I’ll just have to divide my time and make a timeline so I could do both projects in time. Just take a deep breath, stay calm and focused. This looks like an auspicious start for my new journey. Hopefully I’ll enjoy the ride.

I think I might just found my way to (my) Neverland.

“Second to the right, straight on ‘til morning.” -Peter Pan

No comments:

Post a Comment