Thursday, June 19, 2008

[I dream of] Mykonos, Greece


Ever since I was a little girl, I've always been fascinated by the Greeks. Mainly because I loved to read Greek myths.

Olympus with all its Gods and Goddesses and the rich history of Greek civilizations enchanted me in a way that at one point, I even decided that I wanted to be an archaeologist (my fascination with the Egyptian Gods, Chinese dynasties, and dinosaurs also made me even more certain about this cool profession).

But I only knew little of what Greek would look like, except for ancient temple ruins perched on top of a hill. Until I finally saw (pictures of) Mykonos island.

My first glimpse of Mykonos happened years ago when I was flipping through National Geographic that my uncle subscribed to every month (which also played a big part in shaping my dreams of traveling the world).

I remember the opening picture was of this white washed buildings (or was it the windmill?) standing in front of a clear blue sky backdrop.

Needless to say, I fell in love for the second time.
I found out later that it was a common view when you come to the Greek isles. I got even more excited and told myself to explore the isles, which includes Santorini and Crete.

But for now, sadly, Mykonos Taverna would be the closest thing I could get to the real deal. But that's fine, I'll get there eventually. And I'll be sipping my chilled chardonnay against the white and blue backdrop or sitting on one of those colorful chairs in a seaside cafe -- blissfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment